Custom Search

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

World Malaria Day

Yes, there is a World Malaria Day and it is hosted on April 25th. Even though malaria is easily preventable and treatable still, a million people die annually from the disease. Children are the most affected casualties. Growing up in Nigeria, I experienced a few bounts of malaria. Being accustomed to the illness and knowing many people who suffered from it and recovered created the impression in me that it was "normal." It was after I moved to the West that I learned the deadly effect it had on people. In Nigeria, I was fortunate enough to have adequate treatment during those times. Sadly, that is not the case for millions of people in a continent that struggles with even the most basic healthcare needs.

Below is a sample article that provides more information about the disease and the attempts being made to eradicate it in Africa.
http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5615a7.htm

In most cases, the solution is simply education. I've always wanted to create an organization that raises awareness about HIV and malaria prevention. One of my goals would be to visit poverty stricken communities and educate them on prevention methods. Affordable medicine is another issue that needs to be tackled as well. However, I am still putting peices together on how to accomplish this. What I find to be a disadvantage is my lack of professional experience in the health field. I consider myself health savvy but unfortunately that will not give me the credentials I may need. I would like to have as many healthcare professionals in my team as possible who are willing and able to travel to Africa and be dedicated to this mission. We can start with one country until a chain is established. Sounds ambitious but thinking big is always a great start to accomplishing great things. If interested please send me an email at echizea@hotmail.com.

No comments: