Custom Search

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Thoughts On Africa's Healthcare

Even though I consider myself a citizen of the world, I have a special affinity towards Africa as my homeland. When looking for a sentence to describe Africa, I consider WEB Dubois's words: "Africa is at once the most romantic and most tragic of continents." Africa boasts the best wildlife, landscapes and incredibly spirited people than any place I can think of...yet wars, diseases,economic oppression and corruption dominates this continent like a constant shadow.
Africa is the second largest continent in the world and the most populous continent with about 900 million people. It is the birth place of civilization. Yet in modern Africa lack of clean water, malnutrition, basic healthcare needs and underequiped hospitals is the norm. Human conflicts occurring in the region only threaten to make the situation worse. Then of course there is HIV, which is a major problem in Africa. We may not all agree with the statistics (personally, I am not one to get carried away with statistics) but only a delusional person will fail to see that it is one of the major health crises plaguing the continent. Millions of children have been left orphaned from the disease. And then of course there is the issue of economic inequality-where the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.
I have so many dreams for Africa. I would like to see the proletariat become empowered and take responsibility for themselves and thier communities. I would like to see Africans demand change from governments in respective countries without fear. I would like to see the healthcare system revitalized in such a way that the average person can afford basic necessities from clean water to medication to cure malaria, tuberclusis and other diseases. I would like to see a healthy, prosperous and spiritually empowered Africa.
I sincerely believe that unless Africa is revived the world cannot be fully transformed into a planet of peace, love and equality for all. This is because there are just way too many people at stake.
I am an eternal optimist (as well) and do believe that Africa will be transformed. However the occasion and level of transformation depends on us all.

No comments: