Custom Search

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

My Response To The Classification Of Exotic

He said I was fly
Swingin’ hips
Several shades away from standard type skin
-exotic
reminded him of wild remote places
didn’t mention it
but I assumed
it came with juicy fruits, heightened tropicana
thought I was a good dancer
even before learning my name
said rhythm was in my blood
buried beneath my veins
deeper than my self-awareness

Must admit
I love the sound of drums
It’s primodial quality
It’s heightened pulsating capability
I find it
Almost spiritually exhilarating
And in certain moments
I become one with its message
It becomes me ...
That's when I move...
But then they say:
“She had to be a good dancer”
Like I had no choice in the matter

The words tumbled in my head
eager to project from my lips
the fact that:
I’ve actually never encountered a jungle
My parents, parents lived in African-type cities
And I inherited that love for the city
Even though once in a while a touch of village life inspires me.

Hoped he would find even more fascinating
that:
I’m curious about every book I encounter
Question everything I hear
Write as a substitute for breathing
Dream of saving the world
Enjoy crotcheting
Karaoke
Madonna
Flamingos
Walking barefoot everywhere;
And not for any primitive tendencies
Crave cereal three times a day
An independent woman by choice
Deeply spiritual
Though not always saintly
Still as the river Niger of my birth
And yes, beautiful
For the simple reason
The I am that I am
Self contained in a divine spark
Is me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A poem that inspires